Reading, pondering, memorizing and studying the Bible will yield more joy in this life and the next than all the things that lure us from it. Here’s 10 benefits:
1. The Word of God awakens and strengthens faith.
2. Through hearing the Word, God supplies the Holy Spirit.
3. The Word of God creates and sustains life.
4. The Word of God gives hope (more than this world can offer).
5. The Word of God leads us to freedom.
6. The Word of God is the key to answered prayer.
7. The Word of God is the source of wisdom.
8. The Word of God gives us crucial warnings.
9. The Word of God enables us to defeat the devil.
10. The Word of God is, therefore, the source of great and lasting joy.
Taken from When I Don’t Desire God: How To Fight for Joy, John Piper (Crossway, 2004), pages 97–113.
In Christ, Tory Cayzer.